We are committed to the health and wellbeing of our staff and our community. During this uncertain time, we want to make sure you know what measures we have put in place to respond to coronavirus (COVID-19) and what changes to expect when shopping with us in store.
We will continue to update this page so you have access to the most up to date operational changes. Please check in regularly. Thank you for your trust in us.
We have made changes to our hours of operation to adequately staff other areas of our store, support our staff and keep food on the shelves:
Danforth Community Market is now open regular hours
Beach Community Store will be open 10 am – 7 pm daily
Danforth Dispensary will be open 9 am – 5pm daily
Danforth Juice Bar is now open summer hours
Designated Shopping Hour: The first hour of operation at each store is dedicated to senior and immune compromised customers. Please plan accordingly so we can ensure the safest possible shopping experience for everyone.
Healthcare Heroes: We care about our community caretakers! We are offering priority entrance to frontline workers (nurses, doctors, fire fighters, police, paramedics, hospital & healthcare staff) please have a piece of I.D. ready to show our door staff.
Starting Tuesday, July 7th, in accordance with the City of Toronto Bylaw, all customers must wear a protective face covering while in store. Don’t have a mask or forgot yours? We’ll have reusable and disposable masks available for sale. Disposable masks will be sold at cost for $1.00+HST. Funds will be donated to our community partners. Due to limited supply we encourage you to BYO or purchase a reusable mask. As per the bylaw exemptions are permitted. For the safety of others please consider using our Curbside & Delivery services if you are unable to wear a mask.
– 10x Points Day and Seniors Day have resumed. Curbside Pick-up and Delivery orders are excluded.
– Reusable bags are now allowed. Bags must be clean, kept in grocery cart and packed by customers to avoid contamination of the cash counter. No buggies are allowed in store at this time. They can be left in the designated area outside the store. BYO-Bag reward points and 10 cent plastic bag charge have been reinstated. Thank you for your understanding.
– Bottle returns have resumed for dairy bottles (maximum 10 per visit, must be thoroughly cleaned) and 18L Puretap water bottles (maximum 3 per visit, must be thoroughly cleaned)
Reminders Before You Shop:
– If you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath please do not enter the store
– If you have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days or have been exposed to someone who has returned from a trip, please do not enter the store
– We strongly recommend wearing a face mask while shopping
– One shopper per family in the store please. Plan your shopping adventure accordingly!
– Make your shopping list ahead of time. As there is a limit of customers allowed in store we ask that you be mindful of your time when shopping
– We have gone cashless. Please bring a credit or debit card to pay. This is for the protection of you and our cashiers
– We have temporarily suspended product returns to safeguard our staff and customers as well as encourage people to shop responsibly and avoid panic buying
– Shop responsibly for what you may need. If you don’t need it in the next two weeks please leave it for someone who does. We continue to restock daily
What to Expect In-Store:
– Food Safety and sanitation are always a priority. We have increased our regular cleaning schedule of common areas and are diligently disinfecting all high contact surfaces including grocery carts, fridge/freezer door handles, door knobs, pin pads, etc.
– Hand washing every 30 minutes is mandatory for all and designated hand washing stations are being provided to ensure this can happen
– The number of customers allowed in the store at one time will be limited
– All shoppers must use a cart to help everyone maintain safe social distance when shopping. Please follow signage and keep 6 feet from other customers and employees at all times
– Plexiglass barriers have been installed at cash registers
– All cashiers are equipped with hand sanitizer and required to use it between every transaction
– All employees are required to wear a protective face covering. Cloth masks and protective face shields are being provided
– Gloves are being provided to all staff and are being used where required according to Public Health guidelines. Staff members that are not required to wear gloves by Public Health do have the option to wear them for added protection and comfort. Any staff member wearing gloves is required to do so properly and training materials have been provided
– Gloves are available throughout the store for customers. Please use gloves when selecting produce
– We are packaging breads, muffins & cookies
– We are using only gravity bins in bulk and will be packaging other bulk top sellers
– We have temporarily closed the hot and cold bar. We will instead be offering an expanded selection of prepackaged options to keep you healthy. Soups will be available behind the deli counter
– We have removed all seating areas from the main store
– We have removed open product testers from our Wellness department
Changes In Store Programming:
– We have paused our weekly Speaker Series
– We have paused all passive sampling and demos
– We have suspended the use of reusable containers throughout the store
Given all these changes- many things remain unchanged:
– We will be here for you to keep you nourished with good wholesome food
– We will always put public safety before commerce
– There will be no changes to our margins
A note from our Operations Manager:
I would like to start by thanking our frontline staff for their tremendous hard work as they keep The Big Carrot stocked, sanitized and ready to serve you. We acknowledge the magnitude of our role in both providing an essential service to our community and protecting our staff and customers as we do so. We will continue to be nimble and adjust our operations accordingly. We appreciate in advance your flexibility as we navigate these unprecedented times together.
Thank you for your cooperation. Now more than ever we appreciate our amazing community.