Arugula & Cremini Mushroom Quiche
Gluten-free Almond Meal Crust
2 cups almond meal
3 Belanger Organic Farm* garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 tablespoon fresh Country Herbs* thyme
½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
? cup coconut oil, melted
1 ¼ tablespoon water
1 tablespoon coconut oil (for greasing the baking pan)
3 cups New Farm* baby arugula, roughly chopped
1½ cups Ravine Mushroom Farm* Cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
½ cup Sosnicki Farm* Golden Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
6 large Yorkshire Valley Farms* eggs
? cup Harmony Organic* 2% milk
150g Woolwich* goat cheese, crumbled
½ large Pfennings Organic Farm* yellow onion, julienned
½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon coconut oil (for skillet)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet or large tart pan with melted coconut oil. In a mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour in the coconut oil and water and use your hands to combine until the mixture becomes dough like.
2. Press the dough into your prepared skillet/pan until it is evenly dispersed across the bottom and up the sides (if you are using a cast iron skillet, make sure the dough goes at least 1¼ inch up the sides). Bake until the crust is lightly golden and firm to the touch, about 18 to 20 minutes.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm enough coconut oil to lightly coat the pan. Cook the onions on low heat for 3-5 minutes, add the mushrooms with a dash of salt, stirring often, until tender. Toss in the arugula and let it wilt, while stirring, about 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a plate to cool.
4. In the same skillet, sauté the sliced golden cherry tomatoes with a dash of salt & pepper on medium heat, until slightly tender. Keep separate from mushroom, onion, and arugula mixture.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and smoked paprika. Stir in the goat cheese and the slightly cooled onion, mushroom and arugula mixture.
6. Once the crust is done baking, pour in the egg mixture, and place the sautéed golden cherry tomatoes on top of the mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the center is firm to the touch and cooked through. Let the quiche cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing with a sharp knife. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from www.cookieandkate.com
* Local farmers and suppliers to The Big Carrot
Alex Comrie, B.Comm, Registered Holistic Nutritionist (R.H.N.)
Nutritional Consulting www.realhealthworks.ca
Holistic Catering www.sasandalex.com