BBQ Pulled Mushroom Quesadillas
400g BBQ’d King Oyster Mushrooms, bottoms removed
1 tbsp Sunflower oil
1/2 tbsp Garlic, minced
2 pcs Bell peppers, medium sized, (seeds removed)
1/2 tbsp Paprika
1/2 tbsp Onion powder
3 tbsp Tamari
2 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbsp Brown sugar
1/4 cup Cilantro, fresh, finely chopped (or parsley if preferred)
1/4 cup Water
1 pkg (6 pcs) Wheat tortillas, medium sized
2 pcs Jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (seeds removed)
1 cup Old cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
1. Using two forks, shred king oyster mushrooms and set aside.
2. In a pot over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp of sunflower oil and cook garlic for 30 seconds. Add in shredded mushrooms and bell peppers, saute until both are tender.
3. To the pot, add in paprika, onion powder, tamari, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, cilantro and water. Stir until well combined and cook until liquid has reduced by half.
4. In a medium non-stick pan, over medium-low heat, place one tortilla and add BBQ mushroom/pepper filling to one side, top with a couple slices of jalapeno peppers and a sprinkle of cheese, fold tortilla. Toast for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Flip to toast the other side until crispy and the cheese has slightly melted.
5. Quesadillas can be cut into wedges and served family style if desired.
Recipe by Leanne Soochan, nutritionist at The Big Carrot