Black Bean Sweet Potato Salad
Serves approximately 6-8 people as a side dish.
- Large mixing bowl
- Large spoon for stirring
- Large chopping knife
- Cookie sheet
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large hot house tomatoes, cubed
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch curly parsley, finely chopped
- 10-15 kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Chop the sweet potato into small cubes. Toss with the spices and avocado oil. Spread the sweet potatoes in an even layer on the cookie sheet and roast for 35 minutes at 400°F. Stir and flip the sweet potatoes halfway through for even roasting.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Chop the herbs, tomatoes, olives and green onions, and add them with the rest of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- When the sweet potatoes are done roasting, add them to the salad. You can fine-tune the spice level and brightness of your salad by adding more chipotle powder and salt to your liking.
- You can enjoy the salad immediately or chill in the fridge before serving in your favourite, summery bowl!
Megan Horsley is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist at the Big Carrot Beaches Community Market and works with clients in her private practice, Megan Horsley Nutrition. For more information on services and recipes, visit her website: www.meganhorsleynutrition.com