Detox Lentil Lime Soup
The trick of a truly amazing lime soup is to use fresh lime juice and add it right at the end to preserve its incredible flavour. This soup contains the juice of almost 10 limes, which makes it a true detox aid. Springtime is perfect to cleanse and lentils provide needed protein that assists in phase-two liver detoxification. Limes will produce more juice when warm, so consider storing them on the counter or putting them in hot water before juicing. Lentils are one of the easiest legumes to digest and have been shown to help reduce belly fat. This soup freezes well so make a double batch and take it to work for lunch!
6 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
3 cups dried organic red lentils
3 tbsp water
2 cups onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp whole cumin seed
1 tbsp turmeric
2 cups kale, finely chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh lime juice
Sea salt to taste
- Rinse dry red lentils in cold water, over and over until water runs clear. In a large pot, combine broth, bay leaf and lentils. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- In skillet over medium heat add onion, garlic and sea salt with bit of water and sauté until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Break the shell of the whole cumin seeds by lightly grinding them in a mortar and pestle. The seeds should still be visible when you are done.
- Add turmeric and ground cumin seed into the onion mixture and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Mix sautéed onion spice mixture and chopped kale into the cooked lentils. Simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat to blend flavors.
- Turn off heat. Add lime juice and olive oil at the last minute to preserve the taste and nutrients.
- When reheating, gently warm over a low heat.
Makes 10 cups.
Nutritionist Julie Daniluk RHN hosts Healthy Gourmet, a reality cooking show, now shown in over 70 countries. Her award-winning bestseller, Meals That Heal Inflammation, has helped over 100,000 people enjoy allergy-free foods that taste great. Julie’s latest book, Hot Detox, was the number #1 Canadian health book in 2017 with 11 weeks on the best-seller list.
She has appeared on hundreds of television and radio shows, including The Dr. Oz Show, and is a resident nutrition expert for The Marilyn Denis Show.