Detox Lentil Lime Soup
6 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
3 cups dried organic red lentils
3 tbsp water
2 cups onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp whole cumin seed
1 tbsp turmeric
2 cups kale, finely chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh lime juice
Sea salt to taste
- Rinse dry red lentils in cold water, over and over until water runs clear. In a large pot, combine broth, bay leaf and lentils. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- In skillet over medium heat add onion, garlic and sea salt with bit of water and sauté until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Break the shell of the whole cumin seeds by lightly grinding them in a mortar and pestle. The seeds should still be visible when you are done.
- Add turmeric and ground cumin seed into the onion mixture and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Mix sautéed onion spice mixture and chopped kale into the cooked lentils. Simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat to blend flavors.
- Turn off heat. Add lime juice and olive oil at the last minute to preserve the taste and nutrients.
- When reheating, gently warm over a low heat.
Makes 10 cups.
Nutritionist Julie Daniluk RHN hosts Healthy Gourmet, a reality cooking show, now shown in over 70 countries. Her award-winning bestseller, Meals That Heal Inflammation, has helped over 100,000 people enjoy allergy-free foods that taste great. Julie’s latest book, Hot Detox, was the number #1 Canadian health book in 2017 with 11 weeks on the best-seller list.
She has appeared on hundreds of television and radio shows, including The Dr. Oz Show, and is a resident nutrition expert for The Marilyn Denis Show.