Hot Detox Butternut Squash Soup
1 large butternut squash (about 6 cups)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp pink rock or grey sea salt
1 tsp organic lemon zest
1 tsp organic lemon juice
1⁄8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp coconut nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup bone or vegan broth
1 1⁄2 cups organic coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Halve the squash lengthwise, and remove the seeds and stringy matter. Rub the insides and cut surface with coconut oil, and season with salt.
- Place cut side up in a roasting pan, and bake for 1 hour or until fork-tender.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Scoop out the flesh and place in a food processor.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and coconut butter, and coconut nectar and vanilla if using. Puree until smooth.
- Add the cinnamon, and more salt to taste, and pulse a few times to mix well. Serve as a puree.
- To make this into a butternut squash soup, place the puree in a saucepan. Stir in broth and coconut milk, and heat until simmering.
- Makes 4 cups puree or 10 cups soup. Keeps in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutritionist and TV personality, Julie Daniluk is the award-winning, bestselling author of Meals That Heal Inflammation, Slimming Meals That Heal & Hot Detox. Julie has appeared on hundreds of television and radio shows, including The Dr. Oz Show. She is going into her 10th season as a resident expert for The Marilyn Denis Show. Check out more information at juliedaniluk.com and connect with her on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest @juliedaniluk