Mushroom Buckwheat Burgers with Cashew Nut Butter
Coating the grain with egg and toasting it before simmering allows it to retain its distinct texture. These burgers are delicious served with dark rye, open faced.
1½ cups kasha (buckwheat groats)
3 cups boiling water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ cup toasted sesame oil, divided
1 cup diced onions
1 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 medium grated carrot
1½ cups cubed sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ cup cashew nut or almond nut butter
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1. Lightly beat eggs in medium sized bowl. Add kasha, stir until well coated. Add mixture to a dry heavy 4 – quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smell toasted and begin to separate, around 2 minutes. Add boiling water, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered until most of the water is absorbed. About 10- 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Saute onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes. Add celery, and carrot. Cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Steam sweet potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain and mash.
4. In a large bowl, combine kasha, sautéed vegetables, mashed sweet potatoes, almond nut butter, basil, and soy sauce. Stir until combined.
5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Form into 15- 2- inch patties.
7. Heat 3 tbsp oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Cook 5 burgers at a time, for 5 minutes , turning once , until golden brown and crisp.
Makes 4-6 servings
Recipe provided by Nettie Cronish