1 1/2 cup flour
2 + 1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sliced rhubarb (1/2″ pieces)
1 tbsp orange zest
1 cup 35% cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tsp orange juice
1/4 cup icing sugar
1. Whisk together the flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. Add the cream and vanilla and use a wooden spoon to stir until the batter just comes together (about 8 turns around the bowl).
3. In a separate bowl stir together the rhubarb, orange zest and remaining 1 tbsp sugar and mix into the batter until just combined.
4. Turn the batter out on to a floured surface and knead a couple times (3-4) just to bring to dough together in a circle that’s about 1″ inch thick.
5. Brush the top of the round with heavy cream and sprinkle evenly with more sugar (optional).
6. Cut the circle into 8 even triangles and place each triangle on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Place into the oven on the middle rack and cook for 18-20 min. or until slightly browned on top.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
9. Mix together the orange juice and icing sugar until you have a thick homogenous glaze. Drizzle over the cooled scones and serve.
Media Food Expert, Recipe Developer, and Food Writer