Warm Lentil, Beet & Spinach Salad with Roasted Eggplant
If you’re getting ready to serve a vegetarian meal for the holidays, I have the perfect hearty dish for you that even the non-vegetarians will love! Enjoy this nutrition powerhouse of lentils, eggplant, beets, walnuts, pomegranate and spinach dressed with a creamy tahini dressing.
2 small eggplants Salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup water
3 tbsp tahini
5 tbs olive oil
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp maple syrup
1 clove garlic
Lentils, Beet and Spinach Salad:
2 cups cooked lentils (approximately 1 cup dry)
2 small red onions
1 clove garlic
¼ cup olive oil
1 small beet shredded
2 tbsp cumin
1 bunch spinach (or 1 box of baby spinach)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings: walnuts, sunflower seeds, chopped dates, pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice eggplants into 1/4 inch thick pieces, lengthwise. Evenly space on cookie tray and roast for 15-20 minutes. Flip, roast for additional 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and soft-looking.
- Cook lentils: in a medium pot bring lentils to a boil in enough water to cover them, then turn down heat to a simmer, and cook for 25 minutes covered.
- In a separate pan, sauté onions, garlic, olive oil until onions are soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Make the dressing: add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Plating: For each serving, layer with the lentil salad on the bottom of the bowl, top with a few pieces of the eggplant and drizzle about 2 tbsp of the dressing on top. You can finish off this bowl with your choice of toppings above. I chose chopped dates, sunflower seeds and walnuts.
Megan Horsley is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and works with clients in her private practice, Megan Horsley Nutrition. For more information on services and recipes, visit her website: www.meganhorsley.com