The classic chili stroganoff dish made with lentils and bell peppers to create a healthy alternative to the American gravy over pasta dish “Hamburger Helper”
16 oz fusilli rice pasta
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
1 medium yellow pepper
1/2 cup green lentils sprouted or canned
2 tbsp. avocado oil
2 cups vegetable broth
6 tbsp. tamari
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour to thicken
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
Sea salt to taste
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast Curly parsley to top
- Start by adding garlic, onion and yellow bell pepper to a food processor or chop until finely minced.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high with avocado oil. Add minced garlic, onion and pepper to the skillet and sauté until fragrant.
- Boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to package direction. Rinse and set aside in the same pot used to boil.
- Add listed seasonings and nutritional yeast to the skillet, then mix in tomato paste and tamari. Pour 2 cups vegetable broth and give it a stir.
- to thicken the gravy add in flour in 1 tbsp. at a time, stirring frequently for about 5-6 minutes reaching desired texture.
- Add cooked lentils to the sauce and mix well. Pour sauce into the pot over the pasta and stir until combined.
- Place serving into a pasta bowl and top with parsley
Recipe & Image by Natasha Pataki
Registered Holistic Nutritionist