Reduce Your Food Waste to Help Protect Our Planet

Reduce Your Food Waste to Help Protect Our Planet Reduce Your Food Waste to Help Protect Our Planet

What is food waste?

Food waste or food loss is food that is discarded, lost or uneaten. The causes of food waste or loss are numerous and can occur at the stages of production, processing, retailing and consumption.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations 30% of global food production fit for human consumption is either lost or wasted each year, this is equivalent to 1.3 billion tonnes of food, with fruits and vegetables accounting for the highest. According to the Toronto Food Policy Council, in Canada, $31 billion worth of food ends up in landfills or composters yearly, with each household wasting $28/week.

Where does it come from?

47% of food wasted in Canada comes from homes, while the other 53% is generated along the value chain (food production, processing, retailing or consumption). Globally, if food waste could be represented as its own country, it would be the third largest greenhouse gas emitter, behind China and the U.S. (FAO).

According to Food Bank Canada, 13% of Canadians live in a state of food insecurity, which means they don’t have reliable access to adequate amounts of safe, good-quality, nutritious food.

How can you reduce your food waste?

Simple Solutions:

  • Make a weekly menu & shopping list – this way you buy only what’s on your list
  • Buy & eat less – serve smaller portions & buy only what you need
  • Avoid going shopping when you’re hungry
  • Donate unwanted or unopened food to food banks, friends or family
  • Invite someone over for dinner!

Need help? Flashflood and ubifood are mobile apps where clients (individuals, families or food banks) can purchase surplus or soon-to-expire food, rather than it being thrown away.

Food waste is expensive and taxing to the environment. However, as discussed there are simple, effective ways to reduce food waste and make a difference.

Kendra S. Registered Holistic Nutritionist & Certified Personal Trainer

Pin It on Pinterest