Shopping Sustainably at The Big Carrot
Here at The Big Carrot, we approach sustainability holistically, from our purchasing priorities to the services we provide for customers and the materials we source for packaging. We are continually working to better our offerings to support our planet in a sustainable way. For more information on our standards and holistic approach to sustainability please click here.
Packaging and Take Away Items
The produce and shopping bags we offer in-store are 100% biodegradable. We charge $0.20 per biodegradable shopping bag at checkout, produce bags are free of charge. We recommend for in-store shopping that customers bring their own bags (BYOB) and linen/mesh/canvas produce bags. We also sell a variety of reusable “The Big Carrot” shopping bags.
In our Carrot Kitchen and Deli, 90% of packaging is compostable (PLA Corn and Sugar Pulp based). The other 10% of materials are paper and or post-consumer (recycled) plastic.
Our Organic Juice & Coffee Bar containers, cups, cutlery and straws are 100% Biodegradable.
*Please ensure to dispose of compostable and biodegradable packaging as instructed by the City of Toronto*
Unpacked / Refill
We offer refill options for consumers across product categories. Our newly opened eco-friendly section “Unpacked” houses dispensable products from all of our departments. We also offer many reusable options for purchase including glass jars and cotton bags.