Simple Everyday Detox
Welcome to Spring! The season we all look forward to. Something about spring screams renewal. Having been stuck indoors for most or almost all of winter, spring really brings out my desire for change. Spring cleaning? Oh yes – but not only for our living spaces! There are so many gentle and great ways we can overhaul our bodies during this seasonal transition. Whether you follow a specific diet or lifestyle, juicing can be beneficial for the entire body. Follow along for a few juicing suggestions!
First off, let’s start with inflammation. Hey, we’ve all been there! Inflammation can happen all over the body and for many reasons: high stress, allergies, nutrient deficiencies. Regardless of the cause and location, we can reduce inflammation using powerful anti-inflammatory foods like ginger and turmeric.
At the Big Carrot Juice Bar, we offer many options that include turmeric and ginger together so you can get the best of both worlds! These drinks include:
Recovery shot, Ginger shot, Caribbean Heat, Monsoon Sunrise, Heart of Gold (cold pressed juice), Turmeric Latte or add a shot of cold pressed turmeric to any beverage.
Secondly, let’s talk about hydration. The key to keeping our bodies running at their optimal capacity is to hydrate. Juices are a great way to hydrate and get micronutrients directly into our system. The best hydrating juices are:
- Cucumber: high water content and source of antioxidants. Gives you a natural glow.
- Celery: a powerful cleanser for our digestive system. Packed with nutrients (vitamin A, calcium, potassium, vitamin C) it also promotes your body’s own natural detoxing. Celery juice on an empty stomach will surely get things moving for you!
We make many beverages with both celery and cucumber:
Green Abundance, Zinger, Ultra Green, Shades of Green, Classic Green Smoothie, The Reformer, Emerald Temple & Ultimate Pure Green (cold pressed juice) or add celery or cucumber to any drink.
There are many combinations of vegetables and fruits that promote your body’s own natural detoxing process. A few “key players” to keep in mind are beets, parsley, kale, and spinach.
- Beets: cleansing for the liver and kidneys and a source of non-heme (plant-based) iron
- Parsley: packed with vitamin K, iron, vitamin C and folate. A great liver and kidney cleanser and supportive to the immune system.
- Kale: high in manganese, iron, potassium, and vitamin A, C & K. A bitter green, kale helps stimulate the digestive system and cleanse the liver.
We make many beverages that contain these amazing ingredients like:
Smooth Feeling, Change of Season, Deep Immunity, Bacteria to the Future, Liver and Kidney Flush, Wheatgrass Detox, Liver Lover, Ultimate Pure Green, Emerald Temple (cold-pressed juices) or add any of these vegetables to your juices.
Not sure which juices are right for you? Speak to one of our in-store nutritionists or juice bar staff who will be more than happy to help you navigate our wide selection. Whether you’re cleansing, rehydrating after a workout or just need a pick me up our organic juices are a great place to start. Now, let’s grab a juice and call it spring!
Cal Carriero, Juice Bar Mixology Guru
The Big Carrot Danforth Community Market